A YEAR

April 28, 2014

Wow. As I type this I am in disbelief it's been a year since everything happened between my ex-husband and I. I am almost brought to tears, not just because its a sad time (although it is), but because I have made it SO much farther than I thought I would. I had no idea I would be able to live on my own, take care of myself independently, and be productive each and everyday. Divorce had to be one of my top fears. I always grew up saying, "I will never get divorced. Nope, not me". Yes, me. Yes, you. Yes, everyone. I am not saying divorce isn't avoidable. It certainly is. But no one marriage is immune.

I cannot wait to meet, date, get engaged to, and marry someone who is deserving of my love. I cannot wait to meet the man whose love I deserve. I am still hopeful in love and marriage. I don't think its a total wash or completely out of the question. I want all of the same things I did before, but next time I will cherish them more than I ever have. Love and marriage is a gift and should be treated as such.

So, what have I learned the most this past year? a

ONE. I am much stronger than I thought I was.
TWO. Good guys are few and far between, but I know they are out there.
THREE. Family really is most important!
FOUR. Cooking for one is hard.
FIVE. Living without a man is awesome, but sometimes I miss it.
SIX. "He's Just Not That Into You" doesn't actually give good advice...
SEVEN. You also can't learn jack from "The Notebook".
EIGHT. "Titanic" now that is a realistic love story...
NINE. Pizza and wine are a girl's best friend.
TEN. This list makes me look much sadder than I really am.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't been married long, but I can say that I've already been surprised at how much work it takes and how easily things can fall apart. I'm glad you've realized your strength, and The Notebook is only good for the last scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the list makes you look sad at all. It shows that you are very strong and keeping it real! Marriage is so hard, and some things you just can't prepare for. Thanks for keeping it real!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww sweetie, hugs! Just hugs. I don't even know when to start counting my situation since mine is so convuluted.

    You ARE amazing. Good guys exist, but keep those standards high. You deserve the moon and back. Family saves us all. I still haven't mastered cooking for one, let me know your secrets. I just have lots of left-overs. Aren't girly house decorations the best? I've never read either of those books - now I won't. Thanks for that advice! I still think Jack could have made it onto that door, but that would have made a lame ending. Wine, yes ma'am. Wine. And you are ANYTHING but "sad" dear. You are freaking fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for your sweet, encouraging words! I appreciate that you can understood what I am going through. Hope things are great for you!

      Delete
  4. Although "He's Just Not That Into" doesn't give great advice the same authors wrote a book called "It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken" It got me through many of breakups and got me through them laughing.

    ReplyDelete