ENCOURAGE: BREAKING DOWN WALLS

October 22, 2014


I think throughout my life I have really wanted to embrace those around me and form a community. I see so many of the people I interact with each day living among and sharing with each other. Community to me is the glue that holds any institution or organization together. Community makes up families, friends, schools, marriages, churches, etc. We all live in community and we can all share and learn from each other.

When I was first in college I wanted to create friendships that would last a lifetime. My problem is I have some pretty significant trust issues going on. I get leery of people who easily trust. To me, trust is something that has to be earned, not given freely. Throughout college I had struggles with trusting the right people. I made friendships with people that I probably shouldn't have (ouch) and looking back today and I learned a lot from those 'wrong' friendships. I learned how much to tell and when. I learned about how little people kept things confidential and private. I learned that I have built up walls because I am afraid of getting hurt. I don't take friendship lightly. I hate conflict and confrontation. I like have deep conversations and talking about where people have come from. I love to listen and give advice.

I know now that I have some great quality friends. I have friends that I can call if I need to and I have people in my life that are giving. They are life-giving and they are a part of my daily walk with Christ. I am so thankful for what I have been through. I am thankful for those who have hurt me (even deeply hurt me).  I encourage you to take a step back and analyze what it is that is holding you from creating and having community. You won't regret it.

3 comments:

  1. Learning from experience is a great way to learn. Having good friends is like having family, you know they'll always be there for you.

    www.Fashionabella.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the above comment. You have to learn from past experiences. I also had friends that were not good for me when I was younger and now because of that I am weary of making new friends because I don't want to get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes trust too easily, I like feeling "connected" and get caught up in that... I've learned the hard way to only trust those that deserve my trust, it seems as though you've learned the same lesson... it's a tough one but I think a good one to learn young!

    ReplyDelete