BACK IN THE DAY: COLLEGE

January 13, 2014

I love to reminisce. I am one of those sentimental people that just thinks about good times from my past and reflects on why they were good.

One of my most favorite times in my life was while I was attending college for my undergrad. Out of high school I had no desire to move away to attend school, and I honestly wasn't 100% sure what I wanted to do with my life. I still don't really know, if we are being honest here. There was a junior college about 40 minutes away from my house and I decided to pursue my Associate's degree until I decided to settle on a major. The junior college was easy to apply to and I could still work and earn some money while attending classes a few times a week. At the time I worked at Chick-Fil-A and I knew my managers would be flexible with my schedule since they knew I was in school.
The first three years (I decided not to attend summer courses) were spent pursuing my Associate's degree in Psychology. I went a few days a week (everyday one semester) and I made some pretty good friends there. After my Associate's degree was complete, I began scrambling to find a 4 year college/university to attend in the Atlanta area. I began researching and I applied to a few schools, but because of working so much (and a couple of significant others), my GPA wasn't what I had hoped, so my options were pretty small. I was browsing online when I saw an ad for Atlanta Christian College. I decided to read thoroughly through the website and I immediately decided to start the application process. I gathered all of the documents I needed to fill out, requested my transcripts, and sent them in. Long story short I was accepted and I began to prepare for my arrival there in the fall.
My first goal was to lose some weight I had put on after quitting cheering and working at Chick-Fil-A. I lost 30 pounds that summer on Jenny Craig and I began to feel confident in myself. I was terrified to live away from home, but at 21 years old, I knew it was time. All of my friends were supportive, but my life was about to change in a big way. When I arrived to the campus, it was small and it felt like living at summer camp. The dorms were somewhat outdated, but to me, it gave it some charm.
I met some amazing girls at school (guys too) and I really experienced true community. There were some late nights, hard tests, fulfilling classes, and athletic games. The best part was that the college was Christian and I dove into my biblical studies minor. I never heard the Bible explained to me in that way before. Everything seemed to make sense.
I also had my fair share of social drama. That part I won't get into, because honestly, it's all insignificant now. I definitely grew up there, learned to live on my own, and set priorities. It even led to my first job right out of college. My college experience will always have a special place in my heart and I will always appreciate the learning opportunities I had there.
What was your college experience like? Like it or hate it?


No comments:

Post a Comment