THOUGHTS ON SOCIAL MEDIA

February 5, 2018


Social media has changed so much in the last couple of years and I have had some thoughts about this for a while now. I have had some moments on Instastories and shared my thoughts and did some polls to see if I was alone in my thoughts and feelings. The overtly edited, polished, and perfect photos of Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter not only frustrate me, but leave me feeling less inspired than ever.

Whenever I get on Facebook or Instagram (my two faves) I like to see the BTS (behind-the-scenes) view of my favorite bloggers, businesses, and entrepreneurs. Lately, it's been more like polished advertisements. I used to look through these posts and feel less than and compare my own photos, blog posts, life, and feel lower than low. I kept thinking that I will never get to this point and if this is what it takes to run a successful blog or business, I will never get there. I don't have fancy equipment, or freelance photographers at my dispose. I am just sharing my thoughts and my story and hoping that it can help someone feel less alone. I like to use this platform in the way that I think it was intended for, to build community and relate to people (#relatable).

So, a couple of weeks ago I unfollowed a BUNCH of bloggers and influencers (that word 😐). If they didn't inspire me or made me feel bad about myself or frustrated, be gone! I have to say, it felt liberating to take back control of who I decide to follow. No one has to follow anybody, but sometimes I feel like I'll miss out, or maybe one day I'll enjoy following them again. I can always go back and follow them if I choose to, but for the time I do spend on Instagram, I want to spend it on people and things that matter.

Twitter is a WHOLE other story. I haven't been on Twitter since before Christmas, but I don't see myself returning any time soon. For those who use Twitter regularly, how do not go insane with every other post being about politics? It's really like a 24/7 hostile news network. People are always ranting and arguing and acting like their opinion is 100% right 100% of the time. I even got in a little tiff with someone I enjoyed following about whether or not Taylor Swift should be more open about her political beliefs. Taylor. Swift. Like, really. My thing is, celebrities represent a very small fraction (verrry small) of the American people, and honestly, they are so out of touch sometimes, I rarely claim them altogether. Using your platform for good is one thing. Using it to bash or bully another political party...Um, no thank you. So, bye bye, Twitter. Until next time. Or maybe not.

So, tell me, what are your thoughts on social media? Do you find it frustrating, boring, or just insignificant?


1 comment:

  1. Anxiety counselling Edmonton

    anxiety counselling Edmonton. Certified counselor provides. Do you have an anxiety or phobia? contact us for anxiety counselling. Learn about anxiety

    to get more - https://edmontoncounsellingservices.ca/services/anxiety-counselling/

    ReplyDelete