I SHOULD BE A DETECTIVE

February 13, 2016

Since I have watched "Making a Murderer" on Netflix, I have absolutely become addicted to crime shows and now a podcast, "Serial". "Serial" has actually been around a year or two, but I just hopped on the band wagon and I am absolutely addicted to it! I feel like a detective trying to crack an impossible case.

It got me thinking a lot about the justice system. Growing up, I equated justice with truth. I figured people lied at first about committing a crime, but eventually fessed up and told the truth about what they did, why they did it, and how they did it. What have I learned since watching all of these shows and listening to podcasts? Everybody lies. People do it unintentionally, people do it to protect themselves or someone else, whatever the reason, it happens. It happens a lot.

Even under oath, even after placing their hand on a Holy Bible, and saying "I promise to tell the whole truth...", they still lie. How frustrating! How do lawyers do it? How do they defend someone whose guilty? The truth is, no one is trying to get to the root of the truth, they just want to make the strongest case and persuade the jury.

I know this happens...now. I understand that this is just how the justice system works. I just don't like it. I love the truth and I hate liars. I hate violence, stealing, drug dealing/selling, etc. But all-in-all, it's happening everyday.

I imagine myself in the shoes of every person involved. I empathize very heavily with the story and I get completely caught up. Do you do this? Am I the only one watching every crime show on TV?

No comments:

Post a Comment