BACK TO SCHOOL

August 20, 2016


If you have been around these parts for a while, you may know that I work at a University. Being in a learning environment everyday can be inspiring. Young people learning and chasing their dreams can make me want to re-evaluate my own dreams on occasion. Since I was young I have had an interest in Psychology. I am fascinated by how the mind works and how our minds affect literally everything about our day to day life. How we think affects how we behave and how we behave affects our environment around us. It can literally go on forever...

Lately, I have really been thinking about going to school to pursue my Ph.D. I am thrilled at the thought of being a “doctor”, but more than that, I am thrilled with the thought that this would lead to what I have always wanted to do - counseling. Counseling families and couples would be right up my ally. I have always had a significant interest in relationships, the dynamics of the relationships, and how they function. All of us are flawed, no doubt, but helping better relationships just makes my heart pitter-patter.

I know the sacrifice would be worth it, but it would also be hard. Working full time and going to school full time is no easy task. There is so much reading, studying, and writing that would need to be done. How can I find time to do it all? How can I be a woman who wants it all, and still get adequate sleep?

I have gone over the reasons why I want to, but I have to be honest in saying that there are some cons on that list. The amount of debt that I would accrue alone makes me cringe. But, I also have to be realistic about the fact that a terminal degree would lead to a higher pay grade. I could actually supplement my income by teaching and counseling. If I get licensed by the state, I could start my own counseling practice, whether it be inside or outside the church.

If you have any tips, advice, or thoughts at all, please leave them below! I am so torn, it would be nice to have some feedback!

Enjoy your Saturday, xx!

No comments:

Post a Comment