MY EARLIEST MEMORY

September 3, 2014

Memories are a very powerful thing. I often wonder if my memories are accurate, or if they are the way they are because I was a little kid. I know, we are getting too deep about this...It's the way my mind works.

My earliest memory is both terrifying and kinda funny (now). So, when I was a toddler, maybe 2 or 3 years old my Mom signed me up for swimming lessons. I am not sure who was doing the lessons now, but I distinctly remember not knowing how to swim and being tossed into the pool and sinking straight to the bottom. My Mom must have been close by because she walked in and grabbed me and nearly knocked the teacher out. I am pretty sure tossing a child into a pool isn't the correct method for teaching said child to swim.

I will never forget that and often wonder what would have happened if my Mom didn't see that. For years after that I was terrified to get into any body of water, especially a deep body of water. I avoided pools, beaches, pretty much everything until around 7 or 8 years old when I took legitimate lessons at the YMCA. Now, I love swimming and my fear has totally gone away, but sometimes I still think about that experience and wonder where that tyrant of a swim teacher is now...Maybe jail?

Told you it was terrifying. Tell me what your earliest memory is. Hopefully, its less traumatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment