HOLIDAYS

November 26, 2013

source unknown


Christmas is an enchanting time. I have always enjoyed the holidays, but this year things will look a little different. Maybe not to the naked eye, but in my heart. The holidays have always been about things to me. As much as I hate to admit it, Christmas has had a selfish place in my heart. In the past I was always concerned with getting the next new gadget or clothing item. I made it a point to indulge in all things holiday related. This year, I want to get back to the basics with Christmas. It is a time to reflect on Jesus' birth, family, togetherness, giving, and gratitude. I don't really need anything, so why is my heart filled with so much empty longing for stuff? Why do I ignore what I have and desire only what I don't? Don't get me wrong, giving gifts that are thoughtful and meaningful are completely okay. I am just talking about the wanting (and expectation) of "things" that aren't needed, and how it can hinder the true meaning of Christmas. (Please give to your family and friends. I am not saying not to).

This year I am hoping to rid myself of the selfish desires I have had in the past. The holidays really aren't about "things" although that is what society tries to convince us of. We have to remember that although that iPad is a nice gift, in the end you can't take it with you. Memories, love, and togetherness is what matters.

What about you? Are you going to be starting new traditions that don't include tangible gifts?


1 comment:

  1. Is it bad that this year I'm planning on "not" celebrating? I think that it will be easiest for me to just treat them like some good family time and nothing more in order to not dwell on the just moved status, etc. Perhaps not the most noble of plans, but anything to survive!

    ReplyDelete