LOVING MYSELF

February 13, 2014

Love. It has a whole new meaning since I have been divorced this past year. I used to think that love was unconditional, but I've realized that's easier said than done. I think love has conditions, such as honesty, trust, and openness. How can you have true love without those conditions? Without them love would be near impossible.

I decided to join in with Amy for this blog series because I believe that we can love ourselves and love ourselves well. I had to learn a few hard lessons when I became newly single. I had to learn to give myself the time I needed to heal, but I also wanted to allow myself to grow and learn from this experience.

Love is not easy and it's certainly difficult even with myself. I had my moments when I wanted to give up because I felt so alone and rejected. That was the hardest part for me to handle was the feeling of rejection. All of the sudden I felt like something was broken or wrong inside. Nothing I did was helping me, so I cried out to God. I ask that He help me to feel whole and to feel like I was enough. Little by little I have had to break out of my comfort zone. I have had to let people in and ask for help when I need it. One of the hardest parts of becoming single is that I can go days without one single hug. A hug. A simple embrace with another person. Sometimes I just need a hug.

I don't want this post to be negative, or seem like a downer. That isn't my point at all. I want to share with you how I have been able to love myself again. After experiencing divorce it's important to learn to love yourself before loving someone else again. I am on this journey today. Here I am loving myself and what you can do too:

1. Give yourself a break.
2. Give yourself time.
3. Pamper yourself every once in a while.
4. Do things with others even when you want to be alone.
5. Allow others to help.
6. Appreciate your quirks, flaws, and your mistakes. Even if you stare and study the most beautiful seemingly perfect things, you will see imperfections.
7. Laugh. Laugh. Laugh.

This Valentine's Day doesn't have to be about you and a significant other. It can be showing yourself that you are significant. If you want to learn to love yourself, I say start today. It doesn't have to end after the ending of relationship. I am sending you all virtual hugs today.

2 comments:

  1. Lovin the positivity girl! We must love ourselves above all else :) xo

    ReplyDelete