ORGANIZATION: TIPS & TRICKS

July 12, 2015

via
Are you rushing around trying to find your keys under a huge pile of stuff? Do you find yourself trying to answer those emails, but you can't find the time and they seem to be piling up by the second? Does this sound like a cheesy info-merical? Great! Because it's not.

Organization was not my strong suit growing up. I often found myself trying to find things on my closet floor. I always had an over-stuffed junk drawer in my dresser. I always lost papers or permission slips, which would drive my parents crazy. It would drive my teachers crazy, too. Then there was the 10th grade cheerleading uniform debacle of 2001. I looked everywhere for that uniform only to find it in my closet two years later. Yeah, it was that bad.

Over time (especially my college years) I began to take my space, time, and life more seriously. I had to be organized to balance my academics and my social life. No longer could there be a junk drawer, I just didn't give myself the option. Papers and supplies all had a home and for the first time in my life, I felt on top of it.

If you need some help in organizing your life and making it easier for yourself, here are some tips!

1. Take it all out. The first step in organizing any space is to remove everything and start with a blank space (not you, Tay). I am not asking you to take out heavy furniture or decor, but if it can be lifted and moved easily, it needs to come out. Set aside and we will come back to it later.

2. Have a purpose and a plan. If that spare bedroom makes the perfect closet or dressing room, then you really don't want to include things that hinder the space. If your desk is for work only, maybe put it my window with a view for those long working days. The point here is to have a purpose and set your sights on making it happen.

3. De-clutter (and do it fast). Part of disorganization can come from keeping (a.k.a. hoarding) things you don't need anymore. By eliminating unused or useless items you are freeing yourself from clutter. If it hasn't been used in a year, or has never been used at all, get rid of it and do it fast. Don't allow yourself to rationalize keeping something you know you won't need. If it has sentimental value, but hasn't been "used" set is aside, we will come back to that.

4. Clean. Another great way to keep an area organized is to keep it clean. Ridding the space of dust, mold, odors, etc. can do wonders! Stirring dust can really affect indoor allergies, so the less you have, the less clutter, the less dust. Simple is good!

5. Re-create your space. After you have taken everything out, made a plan, de-cluttered, and cleaned, it's time to put everything in its place. Depending on your space, you will want to place items where they are most functional. Keep things at eye-level (or lower) that are used all of the time. Tuck away cords, electronics, remotes, etc. in a specific place when they are not being used. If you are organizing a closet, be sure to put like items together (such as seasonal items). Be sure to purchase crates, boxes, or storage containers to keep items in when they are not being used. Everything needs a home and everything needs a purpose. If you have sentimental clutter that you want to hold onto, find a place to store it to keep it from dry rotting or breaking down.

via
I hope these first steps help you to organize your space, time, and life! Once you have organized each space one by one, you will be able to focus on the people and things you love.

Happy Monday, xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment