NIGHT ROUTINE

October 14, 2016

I am not going to lie. One of my favorite things to do is sleep...when I can! Right now, I am in graduate school, so that calls for some late nights. I also love going to sleep early (around 10:00 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.) because I just feel so much better the next day.
Lately, I have been obsessed with morning/night routines, so I thought I would share mine here!

1. Unwind 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. 
Typically, I try and leave work around 5:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. so my 45 minute commute doesn't cause me to get home too late in the evening. I try and unwind in the car, but of course, I am driving so I can only unwind so much. When I get home, I like to cook dinner and just enjoy eating while I play some music in the background. I use to be a 'eat in front of the TV' kind of girl, but lately, I have tried to enjoy my meals with less distractions. Plus, the jazz music makes me feel like I am in a restaurant (but I don't have to tip!). After eating dinner I will do some things around the house and then I'll take my hour break. I will read, scroll through social media, read blogs, or just lay there while the music is playing. I feel like this time is just allowing my mind and body to calm before I start my bedtime routine.

2. Shower 8:00 - 8:15 p.m.
I love to take two showers a day. My morning shower helps me wake up in the morning and my nightly shower helps me to wind down. I cannot go to bed without taking a shower or bubble bath. It just helps me wash the day away, and it makes my sheets feel so much better. I generally take a more leisurely shower in the evening, and try to shave and do the things that would take extra time in the morning.

3. Face Mask 8:15 - 8:25 p.m. (optional)
I don't do a mask every night (bummer), but if I do, I try and only leave it on for 10 minutes. It's typically a mud mask by Mary Kay, and it makes my skin much less oily throughout the week. My skin texture is about to change with the impending colder weather, but I still enjoy a mask a few times a month even in Fall and Winter.
4. Catch up on TV 8:30 - 9:30 p.m. 
 I don't have cable, but I do have Hulu and Netflix. I like being able to catch up on my shows when I have the time, so if I am able I will watch an episode or two.

5. Graduate work 8:30 - 10:00 p.m. 
Right now, I am in graduate school so I will need to do nightly reading/study/assignments. This way I can keep on top of my class so I don't get too far behind. If I do school work at night, sometimes it will take me some additional time to wind back down.

6. Reading 10:00 - falling asleep
The one thing that can definitely knock me out is reading (even a page turner). Reading helps me to calm my mind, and reading the words helps my eyes to get heavy. I may only be a few paragraphs in and it's lights out!
What is your nightly routine? If you don't have one, I suggest starting one! It will make you and your sleep much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment